Year 1 Simmonds Class
Miss Fenwick is the class teacher with Mrs Mehers, Mrs Patel and Mrs Percy supporting.
To support your child's learning in school please ensure they have:
- Water bottle filled with plain water.
- A coat
- Reading book and planner
- In the colder months please ensure children have hats, gloves, scarfs etc.
- In the warmer months please ensure children have hats, sun cream and plenty of water to drink.
In Phonics, we follow the Floppy' Phonics scheme. Please ensure you are checking dojo each week to practise the sounds we are learning in school.
Practise learning phonics at home using the e-book resource to learn the new phonemes we are working on in class next week. This will sent over Class Dojo.
Statutory Phonics Information
Children in year 1 sit a phonics screening check this will take place during the summer term.The phonics screening check is designed to confirm whether pupils have learnt phonic decoding to an appropriate standard.
The children will be asked to read a mix of 40 words some will be real and some will be nonsense (made up alien words). Children have to use phonics to blend the words and read them clearly.
Reading At Home
Please make sure you read with your child at home EVERY night and sign their diary with the correct date. It is important that you read at home to support your child's learning at school. We will check reading books daily.
Questions to ask your child
- What are the character doing in the book?
- What do you think will happen next?
- Why is the character doing that?
- Can you retell the story?
Wigan Road, Bolton, Lancashire, BL3 5QL